Friday 3 December 2010

Erlichiosis - used to be considered in animals only...

Living on a 5 acre smallholding in the Vaal Triangle in South Africa in the 80's and 90' was a really great time of my life.  However, I had no idea how the bug and little animals around me were going to make a profound change to my life.  Due to the tick infestation of the area, even tho my dogs were dipped to prevent ticks, they still managed to pick up some ticks.  Most often they were diagnosed with biliary caused by Ehrlichia.  This was explained to me at the time my our local vet as being the human equivalent of tick bite fever.

Now that I have been diagnosed with Rickettsia conorii, Lyme disease and Q Fever plus co-infections, I have to wonder if it is also possible that Erlichiosis is also part of my problem.  I am not sure if a test is available in SA for Ehrlichia parasites for humans.  I know the vet used to view them in a blood sample from my pets.

Watch the videos on the attached link which also has good information on the symptoms of this condition.