Sunday 31 July 2011

Press release: Babesia shown to be transmitted via transfused blood

Press Release 2011 :  Jordan Hospital  (Click title for link)
"Several cases of babesiosis have been identified at Jordan Hospital in the past, and high rates of the disease have generally been found throughout Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York.

Most commonly transmitted by the bite of a deer tick, Babesia has also been shown to be transmitted through transfused blood. Approximately 100 cases of transfusion transmitted babesiosis have been reported, some of which have been fatal."

My Mother received a blood transfusion in November 2001 in Cape Town due to a double by-pass heart operation.   Since then, she has always maintained that she no longer feels herself despite her good recovery from the operation.  Over the years she has developed very similar symptoms to myself.  I was diagnosed with Lyme disease in March 2010 after 30 odd years of mis-diagnosis.  In May 2011 live blood tests revealed what appears to be 'malaria' parasites in my red blood cells.  Now, since I have never had malaria, I am wondering if what I do have is Babesiosis...  !